Re: Make TrueType fonts universal to Gnome 2.0

"Jean O'Mara" <jeano_mara hotmail com> writes:

> Hello Gnome.org and all who work on the Gnome 2.0 project,
>
> Can Gnome 2.0 actually read TrueType fonts? This is something that can
> be much enhanced, and I have written out my suggestion for you, as I
> am not a computer programming expert in relation to Linux.
>
> Can you make TrueType fonts accessible to all Gnome applications?

> I suggest you make Gnome 2.0 the universal way of Linux to handle
> TrueType fonts along with anti-aliasing. The reason for this is that
> there are no universal standards for Linux to handle fonts, of any
> kind, including Type 1 fonts. Also, anti-aliasing should be applicable
> to TrueType fonts under Gnome 2.0.

GNOME-2.0 does indeed support antialiased TrueType fonts everywhere,
using FreeType and the Xft library.

You may be interested in the fontconfig project, which is rapidly
becoming the standard way to  look up fonts for open source operating
systems. See:

 http://fontconfig.org/

With GNOME-2.2, version 2 of the Xft library, which uses fontconfig,
will be the preferred font system.