Make TrueType fonts universal to Gnome 2.0

Hello Gnome.org and all who work on the Gnome 2.0 project,

Can Gnome 2.0 actually read TrueType fonts? This is something that can be much enhanced, and I have written out my suggestion for you, as I am not a computer programming expert in relation to Linux.

Can you make TrueType fonts accessible to all Gnome applications?

I suggest you make Gnome 2.0 the universal way of Linux to handle TrueType fonts along with anti-aliasing. The reason for this is that there are no universal standards for Linux to handle fonts, of any kind, including Type 1 fonts. Also, anti-aliasing should be applicable to TrueType fonts under Gnome 2.0.

Many programs look ugly as Linux does not come with any TrueType fonts so I suggest you write out so that all Gnome-based applications can use TrueType fonts and have some kind of configuration available to end-users to control the look-and-feel of non-Gnome programs, by saying in source code that Gnome (2.0) will have the ability to overwrite the program's own default look-and-feel. Overwriting a program's default look-and-feel should be toggleable.

I had a problem with the existing fonts on my Linux system with the Gimp. Is the Gimp part of the Gnome project? It looks more like a third-party project in relation to Gnome. You should also write out a Web browser compatible to Netscape (as Mozilla is closed source) but Linux is still some way to being friendly to a predominantly Windows based environment.

If you can work on this part of the development project, much of Gnome 2.0 will be appreciated and if successful, contact as many Linux vendors to include the new Gnome as standard so we can all make Linux easier to use for the beginner.

- Colin Omara.