Re: feasibility of non-roman menu keymaps?

Kaixo!

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:32:05PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:22:40PM -0500, Daniel Yacob wrote:
> > I've found to be visually distracting, eats up gui real estate, and
> > makes me look at the gui more frequently and for longer moments
> > to check what the key sequence is.
> >
> > I am willing to work on implementing this feature, but I'd like to
> > know firstly if there is some major reason for not going this route
> > (has it been tried before and failed?) and if the gtk maintainers
> > would even be willing to accept a patch for it?
>
> If every other toolkit and Windows uses the (_M) thing it seems like a
> poor idea to be different in this area, I would think.

xforms, used by LyX, has that feature.
It uses a syntax like "abcd|x#a#", before the first '#' there is the
special key to use on keyboard, and before the second '#' the letter
to be underlined (or the opposite, I don't remember).

Such a thing is useful also for latin alphabet languages, in some cases
where the logical letter to underline is accented; for exemple in French
the entry for "_Edit" should be "_Éditer" (_<Eacute>diter), however, it
would be nice to be able to use Alt-E for it.
Something like "_Éditer|e#" would be very nice.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.stben.be/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Italian or Portuguese]