Re: [Fonts]Re: Notes on Pango Xft backend

Around 13 o'clock on May 28, Keith Packard wrote:

> > As you might expect all the excess time is in doing the coverage computations.
>
> Sounds like that operation could use a few speedups.

I've made the primitive function for manipulating charset coverage maps
a bit faster; that does help some, but it's still not fast enough.  Looks
like I'll need to restructure the charmaps to make this faster.  I'll
think on it a bit.

I did get to exercise my other programming law -- any straightforward
algorithm can be sped up by precisely a factor of two by careful
optimization.  I was hoping for a bit more as I converted a recursive
algorithm into an iterative one.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab