Re: Accented Greek

Alexandros Diamantidis <adia hellug gr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that the default Gtk input method doesn't contain the compose
> sequences for accented Greek letters, so to type Greek normally one has
> to select manually the "X Input Method". Should this be made the default
> for Greek locales, so that users don't have to select anything and can
> type straight ahead? Or is it better to add the Greek compose sequences
> to the default input method? Or maybe both?

Adding the Greek compose sequences to the default input method can
certainly be done. They are in there currently because they weren't in
XFree86 when I created the current table.

A more complex question (if not so immediately useful) is whether
compose sequences for the "Greek Extended" characters in the 1F00
block of Unicode should be added, or whether, instead, we should
produce text with combining sequences.

My feeling is that since the unicode "fully composed" normalization
form is the most used normalization form, it's probably better to do
the composition, then to use combining characters.

(One reason this is not so immediately useful is that rendering of
polytonic Greek using the current Pango shapers is very good.
The other reason is that modern Greek is clearly more useful.)

> Also, can someone point me to the place in the source where the built-in
> compose sequences are defined? I couldn't find it with a quick look
> through the Gtk+ 2 sources.

It's the big table in gtk+/gtk/gtkimcontextsimple.c

> BTW, is there documentation for the other Gtk input methods? That
> is, which key sequence produces which characters?

Other than the sources, no.