Re: Pango-1.0.0 released

Owen Taylor wrote:

> Pango is designed to be modular; the core Pango layout can be used
> with four different font backends:

I miss a documentation on the Pango design/rationale.
What choices were made, what the rationale is, what other APIs have
been explored (NT, Apple, IBM, QT), what the differences are. How the
code is modularized.  What is working. What is not. What critics the
Pango designers have received on their design. Why they think the design
will cover the needs. What concessions had to be made etc...
For example, in the font API, I wonder why in a core i18n library I find
references to typical western font properties: PangoStyle is NORMAL,
ITALIC or OBLIQUE. PangoVariant is NORMAL or SMALL_CAPS.

>  - Core X windowing system fonts
>  - Client-side fonts on X using the Xft library
>  - Direct rendering of scalable fonts using the FreeType library
>  - Native fonts on Microsoft backends
>
> Dynamically loaded modules then handle text layout for particular
> combinations of script and font backend. Pango-1.0.0 ships with a wide
> selection of modules, including modules for Hebrew, Arabic, Hangul,
> Thai, and a number of Indic scripts. Virtually all of the world's major
> scripts are supported.

Even more interesting: what is not supported. Are there some scripts
that can't be supported. What are the biggest problems encountered to
date. Todo. Bugs.

> More information about Pango is available from http://www.pango.org/.

This site is never updated. Last status report is from november 2000...

Thank you,

Arnaud