Missing international characters

Hi!

I'n not 100% sure which mailing list this is supposed to go to, so I'll post to both. I hope that's OK.

Problem:

I use Ximian Evolution on my laptop. Evolution uses GTK themes to figure out which fonts to use.. I would like the same font, only smaller.
So I go into the Gnome Control Center -> Desktop -> Theme selector. There, I choose "Use custom font".
AFAIK I'm using Helvetica right now, so I picked that one again, 'cause I think it's nice. I picked a smaller size, and everything looked fine.
I started up Evolution. When I choose "New message", I can choose from my different e-mail accounts.
Usually it says "Søren Hansen <sh warma dk>" in the first one, but now all three just say "S". So everything from the Danish character and onward is gone.
What am I doing wrong? If I choose the same size Helvetica font, I get the same result, so that's not it. What is the default font for Gnome or GTK or whatever?

--
Salu2, Søren.