Re: Heads up on Pango HEAD

Hi Keith,

[...]

>> - pango has now a full dependency on xft.
>>   (which in turn as a dependency the XRender extension)
>
>The Xft module depends on Xft (oddly enough).

???

>Xft2 doesn't depend on Render -- it can draw text on legacy X servers, AA
>text with GetImage/PutImage and non-AA text with cheaper requests.

Good !
Where can I find Xft2, so ?

I thought it was in fcpackage.02-06-03.01-31/Xft but this version
has a dependency on XRender. This mean we cannot compile pango on Solaris.

>> So this mean effectively mean that pango will only work on XFree, right ?
>
>No; fontconfig and Xft2 are to be released separately from XFree.

And independent from XRender.

>> If so is there a way/plan to make these dependencies conditional to make
>> pango and therefore all GNOME 2.0 applications work on other X servers ?
>> (Yes, you are right, I'm thinking about Sun's X Server).
>
>There is no need to make them conditional; all of the infrastructure
>needed can be supplied along with Gnome to run on Sun's X Server.  When
>Sun's X server incorporates the Render extension, AA text will just get
>faster.

Thanks for the clarification.

Erwann

 Erwann Chénedé, Sun Microsystems, Ireland
 Phone  : +353 1 8199031         xt: 19031
[ I speak for myself, not for my employer ]