the width of "History" varied

Hello
    I'm programming under gnome2. I wonna caculate the width of the string "History".
I do that using pango_layout_get_pixel_size. When i do it in the en_US evironment,
the width is 34, but in the zh_CN evironment, it becomes 42. In fact it's
always written in Helvetica 10, and the width is fixed, at least measured on the screen
by my ruler:) It seems 34 is correct.
    How can i get the correct width no matter the language evironment?

Thanks
daodao

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup