Re: Flipping for scrolled windows

    Tzafrir> What if my dekstop is LTR and my friend's desktop is RTL? I will
    Tzafrir> be confused when trying to work at my friend's computer.

Change a couple words: "What if my desktop is GNOME and my friend's desktop is
KDE? I will be confused when trying to work at my friend's computer."

What do you suggest to people who ask you this question?

In practice we've found that most RTL script users like the scrollbars where
they are.  Not because of user interface or ergonomic reasons, but simply
because that is all they have ever used.

Though I find it a little awkward, I've gotten used to scrollbars on the left
in Emacs and xterm.  Scrollbars on the right seem to require less mouse motion
when typing LTR, so on the surface, it would seem logical the same would be
true for scrollbars on the left when typing RTL.  And the opposite of both
would seem to be true for activating things from the menu.  But I've seen no
hard evidence in support of either.

Lots of HCI (Human-Computer Interaction) things are still not known.  We're
groping our way through the dark in many cases.  Hey, it keeps life
interesting :-)
Mark Leisher                           Rights surrendered are not easily
Computing Research Lab                 regained, and a police state is not
New Mexico State University            worth defending.
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL                     -- Patrick O'Grady
Las Cruces, NM  88003