Re: Howto for using Hebrew with Pango

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 dov imagic weizmann ac il wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have put up an "How-To document" about what you need to do in order
> to get Hebrew running with vowel marks (nikud) under gtk+-1.3.7. The
> document may be found at:
>
>     http://imagic.weizmann.ac.il/~dov/Hebrew/pango-hebrew.html

A couple of comments

1. The patch: I haven't followed the discussion on gtk-i18n at the time.
Hasn't Dov's patch been accepted?

2. ttmkfdir
I believe that some versions of ttfmkdir already recognise iso-10646-1 .
Anyway, a quick hack here is:

  ttmkfdir |sed -e 's/$UNNEEDED_CHARSET/iso-10646-1/' >fonts.dir

where $UNNEEDED_CHARSET can be 'dosencoding-cp437', 'microsoft-cp1251' or
whatever encoding you hope you won't need.

This doesn't change the number of lines in the produced fonts.dir, and
thus it doesn't break fonts.dir 's syntax. Validating that the font is
indeed iso-10646-1 is left for the human operator.

3. (For ivrix people) Are you satisfied with this keyboard layout
(assuming it is optional)? Anything missing from it? Maybe rearange the
layout?

4. Once the fonts server has re-read its config it is safer to run 'xset
fp rehash' (unless you only added fonts)

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir technion ac il