Re: Flipping for scrolled windows

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

  > Another patch I've had sitting around for a while. This adds
  > directional flipping to GtkScrolledWindow, so the scrollbars
  > appear on the opposite side for RTL languages.
  >
  > Trying this out it appears a bit stranger to me then some
  > of the other patches... this may just be because GtkCList and
  > GtkTreeView don't properly flip properly yet either.
  >
  > One could make the argument:
  >
  >  - Putting the scrollbar on the right for LTR-languages
  >    is just a convention and not a function of reading
  >    direction, so there is no particular to flip it for
  >    RTL language.
  >
  >    (I use scrollbars on theleft for emacs and terminals...)
  >
  > Opinions?

How about having a global configuration option to set the on which
side the scroll-bar appears? (is there one already? I couldn't find
it...)
That way everybody can set the scrollbars any way they like.

IMHO emacs and xterm got this right, but not everybody agrees...
So allowing people to set the side would be quite nice.