Macros

Hello.
I was wandering if Pango will support macros (or custom made ligatures)?
I'm refering to the fact that sometimes you need to type in another
language, one that you aren't fluent in, or know the keyboard.
In this situation, I know a lot of people that create their own
ligatures (for example ss~ becomes the german beta).
Is this even Pango's job, or is it a simple automatic search & replace
while typing (which should be defined in a higher level)?

Uri David Akavia