Re: Standard Hebrew Keyboard Layout

On 7 Oct 2001, Uri David Akavia wrote:

> On Sun, 2001-10-07 at 10:57, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 Oct 2001 dov imagic weizmann ac il wrote:
> >
> > > The slash and the semicolon are in the layout. I thought that on
> > > top of W is apostrophe.
> >
> > Apostrophe indeed. The hebrew layout does not have a backtick (one
> > character had to be dropped, and the backtick was chosen).
>
> This layout seems wrong to me - I am sitting at a keyboard which has the
> hebrew settings marked - the slash is on the Q (I didin't see a slash in
> the hebrew layout), the semicolon is on the ~ (ditto).
> It makes a difference to users - I only see slash and semicolon in the
> english layout.

Uri, please see the xkbmap file Dov has refered us to. It is more complete
than this picture. The picture omits this key for some reason, but the
xkbmap includes:

    key <TLDE> {        [           grave,      asciitilde      ],
                        [       semicolon,      asciitilde      ]       };

> I assume that customizing the map is rather easy, so I can have the
> Nikud as I am used to it in Windows (SI 1452)?

With the current layout, LALT+1 will give you M-1 (Meta+1) and RALT+1 will
give you probably the "1" of the "US" group. If you want to complicate
your life by adding a third group for Hebrew Nikud, go ahead.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:tzafrir technion ac il