Re: About Windows GTK+ BIG5 (fwd)

Frank Chen writes:
 > i18n, for that UTF-8 is GTK+'s internal representations.  And this
 > doesn't work in a button widget( and may be others, I haven't tried
 > it yet) while setting the window title with gtk_window_set_title()
 > works fine.

In what way doesn't it work? Do you get garbage text, or no text at
all? Could it be that GTK+ simply doesn't find a suitable font to
display the Chinese characters in? Have you tried editing the
gtkrc.zh_TW file? Are you sure that GTK+ finds that file? (Umm, now
that I think of it, it might be that the GTK+ for Windows from
December 2000 didn't even include a gtkrc.zh_TW file?

You might try to download the newest glib-1.3.10 and
gtk+-1.3.0 from www.gimp.org/win32/new-downloads.html, there has been
some improvements in how it looks for the gtkrc.<locale> file at
run-time.

The gtkrc.zh_TW file in that package now contains:

================
# $(gtkconfigdir)/gtkrc.zh_TW
#
# This file defines the fontsets for Chinese language (ch) using
# the traditional chinese Big5 encoding as used in Taiwan (TW)
#
# 1999, Pablo Saratxaga <srtxg chanae alphanet ch>
#

style "gtk-default-zh-tw" {
       fontset = "-adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-*,\
		  -*-mingliu-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-big5-0"
}
class "GtkWidget" style "gtk-default-zh-tw"
================

 > If I only want to develop big5 applications, is that the only way to
 > support big5 locale with gettext/PO/MO?

Umm, yes. The GTK+ 1.3.0 internals (in the Windows port) depends
heavily on the strings being Unicode when deciding what font to use to
display each character from a string. But please remember that the
Unicode support in GTK+ 1.3.0 for Windows and the use of X11-style
font descriptors is just a temporary hack, in GTK+ 2.0 (on both X11
and Windows) the font stuff will be completely different. So evetually
you will need to adapt to that.

--tml