Re: A little polish of Thai shaper

Hi,

I agree to the solution to use pango_font_get_glyph_extents() to handle
both cases. So, I'll make this change.

Chookij V.

]
] I think the problem is that there is no standard for where vowels
] are placed within the character cell, so you can have different
] types of iso10646 fonts with different placements of vowels. :-(
]
]  1) Vowel is to left of origin, and will align properly with previous
]     character after advancing the previous characters advance.
]
]  2) Vowel is to the right of the origin; it should be drawn at the
]     same x location as the previous character.
]
] I believe the current shaping rules used for iso10646-1 are 2) and
] give the right results for Mark Leisher's ClearlyU fonts. These are,
] on XFree86 at least, the fonts that non-Thai speakers are likely to
] have with Thai glyphs. However, the fonts that Thai speakers are using
] are probably more important...
]
] I don't really have a good feeling for what we should be doing here -
] probably it would be best to add a property to the BDF fonts to
] indicate which rule is being used.
]
] If we decide that only 1) is the correct way of doing things, it may
] also be possible to get future revisions of XFree86 to use those
] metrics. Neither of these does much good for existing fonts out
] there.
]
] Perhaps the best thing to do is to make the Thai shaper simply
] retrieve the metrics for the vowel glyphs using
] pango_font_get_glyph_extents(), and then decide based on those whether
] to use 1) or 2).
]
] Regards,
]                                            Owen
]
] gtk-i18n-list mailing list
] gtk-i18n-list gnome org
] http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gtk-i18n-list