Hebrew Text via GTK+/Pango

Hi,

I am trying to develop a Hebrew application using
GTK+ 1.3.2. Now, all of the testgtk samples appear
to have the hebrew word for "Hello" perfectly
fine (using iso-10646 fonts), but I just cant seem to
type anything unicode using yudit (is there any other
editor ?) without it appearing as nonsense.
I type the actuall letters, using yudit's Hebrew
settings, and although GTK displays Hebrew characters,
GTK displays completely other ones, not the ones I
typed.

(I tried using a hebrew keymap, but yudit wont accept
it.)
Anyone with a little insight on the subject willing
to lend a hand? How to go at writing Hebrew UTF-8 text
under X or any other tips that would come in handy?

Thanks a bunch,

Gilad.