Hebrew Support in GTK+

Hi,

For the past couple of weeks, I have been working on a Linux + GTK+ solution
to a
production floor status software, which samples analog information from a
propietery Analog to Digital card and displays various electrical results
on-screen, to verify products integrity.

I must say that results have been impressive, and compred to our current
platform, which
is based on DOS + Borland's BGI library, It is obviously a superior
solution.
I have been very to glad to hear about the GTK+ port to the linux-fb device,
and also the addition of Pango, which enables me to present a native Hebrew
interface
using GTK+, without X, since I am using this software on low end machines
with a very low
amount of ram (usually 4-8MB).

I am looking for some tips on using Pango (the pango home page does not have
example
code on-line, and the API reference seems very complicated), so If anyone
has some code
which uses a non-latin language and specifically ISO-8859-8/6
(Hebrew/Arabic, which are written right-to-left) codepages,  I'd be very
happy to receive some information about general usage.

Plus, I've checked out and built the development (1.3) branch, which seems
to be the only branch which has these specific options included (fb and
Pango support).

I have an ATI Mach64 card, which appears on the supported Frame Buffer cards
list, and I can
boot init on a graphical mode (I have the small Tux icon on top), however,
Gdk cannot
open /dev/fb0 for some reason. Has anyone successfully used it?

Thanks alot,

Gilad.