UTF-8 locale

Could anyone tell me whether the the GDK library supports UTF-8
locales? I am trying to use UTF-8 locale with AbiWord, which relies
on GDK for processing keyboard messages from X, but for any
characters that require multybyte UTF-8 code, the GDK library
used by AbiWord returns an empty string. Is this because UTF-8
locales are not supported by GDK, or is it likely that the problem is
somewhere else?
(I use XFree86 4.0.2 and glibc 2.2, so that the locale itself is
working).

Thank in advance

Tomas Frydrych

tomas frydrych net / www.frydrych.net