Re: XIM String Conversion Callback

Owen Taylor wrote:

> Steve Underwood <steveu coppice org> writes:
>
> > Actually, I'm not sure precisely what you mean by context and
> > reconversion in your
> >
> > comments. By "reconversion" are you just refering to the repeated
> > changes of the pre-edit string, or something more?
>
> "recoversion" means taking areas of text that have already been
> converted into the final form and sent to the client and changing them
> back to a preedit string.
>
> Usually the way this would work is that the users selects a
> part of the text that was misconverted and hits a hot key
> or selects a command from a menu. Alternatively, while editing,
> there may be a hot keys to reconvert the previous word, etc.
>
> I've never actually used a system with reconversion, but it
> apparently can be useful.

Is this supported in XIM? I never actually got around to fully implementing the
pre-edit stuff, when I cleaned up and debugged IMdkit, but I thought the process
was that once you committed the pre-edit string it stayed that way. I can
understand how the reconversion you describe might well be useful when editting
existing text. In experimenting with intelligent Chinese entry, I never really
found a way to make this kind of thing work well. Context derived directly from the
typists actions seems the only sort that really works well. Deriving context from
globs of text in languages without formal punctuation is tough! Then again, maybe
my methods were just not intelligent enough.

Regards,
Steve