Re: [Render] OpenType support in Pango

    >>  A good question.  On one hand, if you place the letters of a word
    >> using simple arithmetic, the set of glyphs needed are much smaller, but
    >> each glyph has to be drawn individually.
    >>
    >> On the other hand, if you create separate glyphs for all the possible
    >> positions one letter shape can take

    Brian> Hum, I assumed that the vertical position depended on the number of
    Brian> proceeding characters in the current word.  Does this explain the
    Brian> following?

    >> , you end up with a font like Monotype Nastaliq - so large it takes 80+
    >> TrueType fonts to hold all the glyphs.

Yes, the vertical position does depend on where the letter is in the word.
With a minimal set of glyphs and some laxness in glyph shapes, one can
probably get by with a minimal set of glyphs.  But like most high-end
typesetting, you want all the positional variants to get a perfect match.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab            Cinema, radio, television, magazines are a
New Mexico State University       school of inattention: people look without
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL             seeing, listen without hearing.
Las Cruces, NM  88003                            -- Robert Bresson