How to

Dear gtk-i18n-list,

I'm relatively new to i18n (and thus this list, too), so please apologize
if this is a FAQ, but I could not find any answer even by browsing through
the archives of this list. Maybe it is too simple.

We (want to) use GTK as front-end for our Python-based tools, running on
Linux and Window. As I found, GTK uses UTF-8 for string representation.
Fine! But how can I open a file once the user entered a filename?

What I actually would like to have is a function that returns the default
encoding used. Any help or pointers are appreciated.

Alois

--
Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Alois Goller
Software

Tel.: +43 1 585 34 34-43, Fax: +43 1 585 34 34-90
mailto:alois goller tttech com