Re: WRAP_WORD with CJK

Pablo Saratxaga wrote:

> Kaixo!
>
> On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 03:50:14PM -0700, HideToshi Tajima wrote:
>
> > Prohibited breaks for punctuation marks, etc, work in general. They
> > are wrapped down to the next line properly, but I don't see a difference
> > b/w WRAP_CHAR and WRAP_WORD with Japanese.
>
> Does that distinction exists at all for CJK languages?
> I never saw a Japanese text wrapping by words instead of by chars.

It certainly does not exist in Chinese. Most Chinese people don't even
seem to think of multi-syllable words as multi-syllable words. Wrapping
is always at the character level. Even a punctuation mark would normally
wrap, so a full-stop could appear on a line (or column) on its own. The
only exception I can think of is qotation marks. The L shaped Chinese
quotation marks would never exist on a line on their own, but they don't
occupy a character cell, anyway.

Regards,
Steve