Re: Hebrew Cantillation Marks in Pango Hebrew Engine

Just to share info I got.
Here is info how cantillation works....

http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/~hr/teamim/

Chookij V.

] Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 18:22:39 +0000 (IDT)
] From: dov imagic weizmann ac il
] Subject: Re: Hebrew Cantillation Marks in Pango Hebrew Engine
] To: Chookij Vanatham Eng Sun COM
] Cc: gtk-i18n-list gnome org
]
] I thought about it, and I think that it is possible. Basically
] it would mean dividing all marks into either upper or lower marks
] and then layout side by side the bounding box of the upper and the
] lower marks for each characters. The center of the side-by side
] bounding boxes would then be placed above or below either the
] middle or the right of the base character.
]
] Of course this would not take care of collisions between marks
] of neighboring characters, but I think it would be more than enough
] for screen display.
]
] About fonts, the cantillation marks are not part of any widely
] used encoding, though there are some MS fonts that uses non-standard
] encodings that use them.
]
] Regards,
] Dov