gtk configure fails to find pango in prefix

Hi,

there seems to be a problem in the current gtk+ configure.
I compiled and installed glib and pango in my prefix ,
and set my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include $(prefix)/lib,
as to compile gtk+ to neither interfere with /usr/local
nor with the gtk+ 1.2 installation.
I get the following error:

checking Pango flags... checking for pango_context_new in -lpango... no
configure: error:
*** Can't link to Pango. Pango is required to build
*** GTK+. For more information see http://www.pango.org

The *real* error is imho in ./configure line 6338 :

else
  ac_save_LIBS="$LIBS"
    LIBS="-lpango $PANGO_LIBS $x_ldflags
$x_libs $LIBS"
cat > conftest.$ac_ext <<EOF
#line 6341 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

LIBS should include libdir ; which it seems to not do.

best regards,
		Karl