Re: Bidirectional Bugs in hebrew

Kaixo!

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 01:33:51PM +0200, Omer Zak wrote:

> > Problem: when writing in hebrew (and RTL direction) a letter and then "-"
> > and a number, I should receive the right image (right.gif attached).
> > Instead I get wrong.gif (attached).
> > My hypothesis for the problem: when pressing "-" Pango returns to english,
> > and then it is logical to write "-8". However, in cases like this the
> > layout should stay in hebrew until I type space or something.

> The problem is not due to Pango.

> I am not sure of this, but it seems to be according to the Unicode
> bidirectionality algorithm.
>
> The rationale behind the algorithm:  to make it possible to type negative
> numbers in "natural" order.  If it were not for this "problem", it would
> have been awkward to type negative numbers in bidirectional text.

That makes sense.

And if we use soft hyphen (0xad, available in iso-8859-6 (Arabic),
iso-8859-8 (Hebrew), cp1255 (Hebrew + Yiddish), cp1256 (Arabic+Farsi+Urdu))
would it produce a rtl string ?
If so then the problem is solved, and users just must be isntructed to
use the minus only as a minus, and the hyphen when a "-" sign is needed
in words.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga