Re: Thai/Devanagari in GNOME Terminal

Robert Brady wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Chookij Vanatham wrote:
>
> > I do understand that we shouldn't break terminal semantics but please
> > clearify me what I did suggested to have CTL script support in terminal
> > and it breaks terminal semantics then, I can think about it more, please.
>
> wcwidth() should either be honoured, or a way of replacing it should be
> found.
>
> wcwidth() lying is not acceptable, apps are going to depend upon this for
> tabulation in the near future.

Not quite true. Many apps _already_ depend on the existing behaviour of
Devanagiri dumb terminals. Surely you need to find out what they have been
doing for the past X years, and emulate that. The great majority of Devanagiri
is currently displayed on dumb terminals, with well established practices.
Don't ask me what those practices are, but I know from what I saw and did in
India that this is the case. Indians still seem to love dumb terminals.

Regards,
Steve