Re: Thai/Devanagari in GNOME Terminal

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Chookij Vanatham wrote:

> Then, if we are going to display those invalid sequence with U+FFFD
> (this is fine by me too) does it mean that wcwidth() is enough to check
> if which vowel/tonemark is the valid sequence without checking the type of
> previous character.
>
> Another reason, this checking for invalid sequence for the display,
> shouldn't it be in the engine, rather than in terminal ?
> That's why I think that we should use Pango..... ?

Arguably. But checking for this sort of sequence and flagging them somehow
is not so difficult.

I'll put this on my TODO list for xterm. To confirm, this is for all cases
where

  [0E48-0E4B] is followed by [0E31,0E34-0E3A] ?

> Not quite sure about this.
> What would be the suggestion, then ?

Ideally, fix all the software to treat them equivilantly. I accept this is
not going to happen soon, though.

--
Robert Brady
robert suse co uk