Re: Thai/Devanagari in GNOME Terminal

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Chookij Vanatham wrote:

>    It tells me that the logical sequences of Thai characters in my Thai
>    document files are different. The seq (1) is correct sequence and
>    the seq (2) isn't correct. I know that something is not correct in
>    my document.

Ah. Ok.

Well, my user tells me that input methods should prevent (2).
That sounds good to me.

>    Also, if I want to sort these document, I would know that these 2
>    sequences are not the same. The order is different.

A decent collation algorithm will sort them equivilantly.

>    Also, if I want to use the find-replace function, to find where the
>    incorrect Thai spelling/sequence, the display can tell me what the
>    incorrect sequence.

As above.

>    This is the big step to make further work easier (at least for Thai).

Yeah. I see why this is useful.

However, I don't believe it's useful enough to break wcwidth(), as there
are other ways of visually indicating errors than use of varying-width
characters.

> This idea isn't from me. It's from Thai Wtt2.0 standard specification
> which was sponsored by NECTEC long time ago. It's done by a lot of
> professional/experience persons both from technical engineers and
> linguistic persons.

Which just goes to show, standards, no matter who designs them, can be
broken. :)

I'm glad that this isn't anything actually required by valid Thai data.

--
Robert Brady
robert suse co uk