Re: Industry Thai Cell-Clustering Rules

Hi Pablo,

] Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:24:13 +0100
] From: Pablo Saratxaga <pablo mandrakesoft com>
] Subject: Re: Industry Thai Cell-Clustering Rules
]
] By the way, what is the position of the Wtt2.0 about the SaraAm ambiguity
] (for people not knowing what the problem is: SaraAm is a codepoint in tis-620
] which in fact corresponds to the combination of *two* other tis-620 chars;
] that is, a same visual representation ca nbe typed two ways).

Wtt2.0 doesn't say anything about SaraAm. The wtt2.0 cell-clustering rule
is treating SaraAm as the starting of the cell. Wtt2.0 doesn't say anything
how SaraAm should be shaped when it is following (1) consonance or
(2) consonance + tonemark.

In the Thai computer industry, for those window applications which use
"I-BEAM" type of cursor, like desktop appls, the way they treat SaraAm,
they treat it as shown below.

	(1) Consonance + SaraAm            ----> 1 cluster (2 columns)
	(2) Consonance + Tonemark + SaraAm ----> 1 cluster (2 columns)

The SaraAm will be displayed as 2 pieces which are Nikhahit (U+0E4D) and
SaraAA (U+0E32) if it's following the above sequences, (1) and (2).

The first piece, Nikhahit (U+0E4D)'s position, will be adjusted based
what type of consonances and whether there is tonemark followed Consonance
or not.

There is another way of having SaraAm in the text by typing Nikahit (U+0E4D)
and followed by SaraAA (U+0E32) as shown in the following sequences.

	(3) Consonance + Nikhahit + SaraAA

	In term of the meaning, (3) has the same meaning as (1) but the
	difference is the logical buffers are different.

	The position of Nikhahit will be adjusted based on types of consonances.

For the clustering point of view, here is my opinion.

	(1) Consonance + SaraAm            ----> 1 cluster (2 columns)
	(2) Consonance + Tonemark + SaraAm ----> 1 cluster (2 columns)
	(3) [Consonance + Nikhahit][SaraAA]----> 2 clusters (2 columns)

This means that even, (1) and (3), looks the same but the behavior of
text manipulation is different, for example,...

A) Cursor movement
   (1) I-Beam won't be able to move in between Consonance and SaraAm
   (3) I-Beam will be able to move in between [Consonance + Nikhahit] and SaraAA
B) Selection
   (1) The whole cluster will be always highlighted.
   (3) Each cluster, either [Consonance+Nikhahit] or [SaraAA], will be
       idividually hightlighted because they are seperate cluster.

The latest updated thai.c, will be able to tell how these clusters are done.

Hope this helps.

]
] Is there a standard way to write words where SaraAm could be used ?

When I was a kid, here is what they taught me how to write SaraAm.

(1) Consonance + SaraAM

Writing: Consonance, Nikhahit, SaraAA

Don't know who invented SaraAm. Not quite sure if it was from computer
person who tried to have Thai support in the computer. Then,

Typing: (A) Consonance, SaraAm
	(B) Consonance, Nikhahit, SaraAA

(2) Consonance + Tonemark + SaraAm

Writing: Consonance, Nikhahit, Tonemark, SaraAA

Typing:  (1) Consonance, Tonemark, SaraAm.

Hope this helps too.

Chookij V.

]
] --