Re: Industry Thai Cell-Clustering Rules

Hi Robert, Owen,

] On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Chookij Vanatham wrote:
]
] > ] Can't those be detected somehow ? (it would be interesting to have the
] > ] list of combinations and the codepoints assigned to the precombined
glyphs)
] >
] > Not quite sure about the question, give me more detail.
]
] Pango shapers can "probe" fonts to see if they have certain glyphs.
]
] They can also do y adjustments on glyphs.  It would be quite easy I guess
] to make a Thai renderer that could do nicely positioned vowels without
] needed extra glyphs for vowel-at-different-heights.
]
] > Now, if users want to have Thai displayed as Wtt2.0 Cell-clustering,
] > what will you do ?
]
] We have
]
]   if (user_asked_for_wtt2_on_all_thai_fonts())
]     {
]        use_wtt2();
]     }
]   else
]     {
]        dont_use_wtt2();
]     }
]
] > That's why, we put Cell-clustering to XLFD name, so that, the engine
] > can determine which cell-clustering rule should be used. Then, users
] > would be able to choose what they want.
]
This alternative is ok for me too.
Then, user_asked_for_wtt2_on_all_thai_fonts(), would be something,
may be, checking form Environment Variable, like, WTT_CELL_CLUSTERING, etc.

% setenv WTT_CELL_CLUSTERING True

Then, Thai pango engine will be able to pick up use_wtt2().

I think, this is the good option too.

] To put it bluntly, that is mad.

Well!!!, let me make sure that this isn't my idea to have it
at the beginning. :)

]
] The correct way to have a user-configuration option is to have a
] user-configuration option, not to kludge it by abusing the XLFD.

Now, we have 2 options, either user-configuration or XLFD.

Hmm!!! May be, we need to think more. :)

Chookij V.

]
] --
] Robert Brady