Re: gtk-1.2.8 and Japanese fonts

Kaixo!

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 05:41:20PM +0900, Phil Cummins wrote:

> When I run the program, a label pops up with the first
> Japanese characters correctly displayed, but the width
> of the box in which the label appears is too short, so
> only about half the characters appear. This is what happens
> for all of the labels in, e.g. gnome programs.

Try to edit the file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/ja/XLC_LOCALE and
change:

use_stdc_env           True
force_convert_to_mb    True

#use_stdc_env           True
#force_convert_to_mb    True

and see if that doesn't solve it.

>   Otherwise my Japanese environment works fine - text
> input, text editors, etc, work OK. So I really don't think
> it's a question of my locale being set or installed improperly.
>   Does anyone have any suggestions for getting gtk to
> calcualte the correct box width for labels using Asian
> fonts?

I think the problem comes from the 16bit locale support in glibc being
still deficient.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga