Re: Why is fribidi a static lib ?

swapan@lycosmail.com writes:

> While running an application created using the recent gtk+pango snapshot I get the following message:
> /opt/pango/lib/libpangox-0.10.so: undefined symbol: fribidi_log2vis_get_embedding_levels
> I have libfribidi.a in /opt/pango/lib
>
> Here is the linking command used for the app:
> /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -I. -I. -D_REENTRANT -I/opt/pango/include -I/usr/X11R6/include   -I/opt/pango/include -I/opt/pango/lib/glib/include -I/opt/pango/include/gtk -I/opt/pango/lib/gtk+/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/opt/pango/lib -lglib -L/opt/pango/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm -o liblyrics.la -rpath /usr/lib/xmms/General -module -avoid-version lyrics.lo list.lo conf.lo about.lo creator.lo  -L/opt/pango/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm -lunicode -lpango -lpangox -lfribidi @PTHREAD_LIBS@ @OPENGL_LIBS@
>
> And it spits out some warnings about no dynamic fribidi modules being present.
>
> Any help in correcting the problem will be appreciated.

fribidi-0.11 which was released recently has libtool support and builds
shared libraries.

I'll be making new snapshot tarballs and RPMS of everything built with
that later this week, until then, you can grab fribidi-0.11 adn
rebuild things yourself; it should work fine with the older versions
of Pango and the GTK+ snapshots.

(It should be possible to get things working with the static fribidi,
but am not sure exactly what steps to take to get this. I know that it
is possible, since the testtext and testgtk programs did link and run
correctly.)