Re: Thoughts and questions about input

First of all I am not familiar with teh technical details of this project
but am interested as a user and a developer who will eventually make use
of this functionality.  Having said that...

I am currently using widnows 2000 which come with an english default.  I
included Urdu as well and now when I need to switch between teh two I use
a key combination of "alt+left_shift."

I think it is important to be able to switch between the modes since,
especially in casual urdu writings, a large percentage of urdu text is
bound to contain english words.  If a user needs to use a mouse (which
means take their hand off the keyboard and disrupt their train of thought
(and train of typing) ) then it will be an obvious hassle.

Now switching between multilingual typing modes is different from
switching between overall gui translation.  By that I mean an Urdu user
may be using english version of X-windows, but just need the ability to
type a few lines in Urdu--which is when we need quick and simple mode
switching.  If the user wants his/her whole gnome environment to switch
from displaying menus etc. in english to urdu, then I don't see a great
need for quick changes (but then again I don't think Pango needs to worry
about this anyway).

Shahbaz C.
chaudhar@umich.edu