Re: Unicode and C++

Robert Brady wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Tom Tromey wrote:
>
> > For instance, in English the sorting order ignores accents.  Eg take
> > the word "cooperate" which can be written with an umlaut over the
> > second "o" (I know this is an archaic form; it is just an example).
>
> A modern example might be "facade", which it is wrong to spell without the
> cedilla (at least in en_GB).

I haven't lived in GB for 8 years, but the last time I was there they had
absolutely no requirement for accents under any circumstances. Has life there
changed so much for the worse? Seriously, the great majority of people in the
UK would never, under any cercumstances, use an accent mark of any kind. My
cousin's daughter is named Chloe, and even her parents don't put the accent
over the E. If a search failed because of an accent mark difference most
people in the UK would consider that entirely reasonable, if also rather
annoying.

Steve