Re: A bug report: Pango cannnot handle some CJK character sets

tajima <hidetoshi tajima eng sun com> writes:

> >I assume that the problem is that it doesn't support _fonts_
> >encoded with these character sets, since these characters will
> >display fine if you have an iso10646 encoded font with these
> >characters.
>
> Well, fallback to iso646 would be not bad for those characters which are not
> caught as native encoding fonts, but I would prefer to treat
> some more well-known native fonts and charsets such as jisx0212,jisx0201,
> cns11643-*, big5, as well as existing ones.

As long as the iso10646 font is a font with the appropriate
language-specifc variants, there should be no user-visible
difference, right?

But yes, certainly users will have native-encoded fonts, so we
should use them for things like jisx0212 as well as the encodings
we handle currently.

> >Fixing this is actually very simple - it basically only requires
> >modifications to pango/modules/basic/tables_big.i, and a few lines
> >of additions to pango/modules/basic/basic.c to support the additional
> >encodings. (You need equivalents to conv_euc())
> >
> >At one point I had added JISx0212 and BIG5 support - it took
> >me about 5 minutes, but I don't seem to have that patch around
> >any more.
>
> I want that for testing. Can you please find and post it

What I meant by "I don't seem to have that patch around any more",
is that I probably deleted it from my hard disk at some point.

I'll either try to redo this or to write up some more detailed
instructions for how to additional charsets.