i18n questions

Hello,

I'm writing a japanese dictionary program called gjiten. Now it's time
for gettext translations, but i'm afraid it wouldn't work correctly in
some cases.
For example some iso8859-2 characters will show up as Japanese
characters in widgets.
As far as I understand it's not possible to display japanese and (for
example) central european chars in one widget with gtk 1.2.
I've seen pango doing this, it looks cool. When is this going to be
integrated into gtk/gnome ?

Q1: Is it possible to set different locales for widgets?
Q2: How can I tell gtk what X input method to use?

thanks.