Re: 8-bit input with GTK

Alex Povolotsky <tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru> writes:

> Hello!

> I've just found that all GTK programs I have (well, GIMP and simple
> entry test from GTK examples; should be enough) do not enter 8-bit
> characters. All other software on my box (except Tcl/Tk) does it OK.
>
> What should be patched?
>
> I'm running
>
> FreeBSD shuttle.svib.ru 3.1-STABLE FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE #5: Sat May 8
> 09:32:34 MSD 1999
> root@shuttle.svib.ru:/mnt/usr/src/sys/compile/SHUTTLE i386
>
> XFree 3.3.3.1

It may depend a bit on the type of 8-bit input you are trying
to do. If you have LANG set to something other than C,
than accented iso-8859-1 characters should work find.

(E.g., LANG=fr_FR ./testgtk)

For a language that wants something other than iso-8859-1
(say Russian) GTK+ (well actually X) needs to have a _fontset_
instead of a font. This can be done from a RC file.
GTK+ actually comes with a gtkrc.ru file that should be
used if LANG is set to ru_*, so things should work
out of the box. (You might check $prefix/etc/gtk/gtkrc.ru
to check that the fonts are actually appropriate for your
system, though GTK+ should spit warnings if they aren't
there.)

The GIMP is a bit more tricky since you can't pick a
fontset for the text tool. I'm not sure what the best
approach would be for getting text that needs a fontset
entered there. For Cyrillic you may have luck selecting
a Cyrillic font then cutting and pasting the text
from another program.