Re: problems with GDK and setlocale on FreeBSD 3.0

tague@netscape.com (Tague Griffith) writes:

> I'm having trouble getting Japanese input working under GTK 1.1.12 with
> FreeBSD 3.0.
>
> One of the problems is that in gdk_set_locale (gdk/gdkim.c), GDK makes
> the call setlocale(LC_ALL,"").  According to the FreeBSD documentation,
> setlocale only supports C and POSIX for anything but LC_COLLATE,
> LC_CTYPE, and LC_TIME catagories.
>
> Does anyone know of a work-around for this problem?

It's quite possible that GDK could use setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "")
instead of what it does currently. The current use of LC_ALL is
mostly out of intertia. (I.e., it was initially done that
way and has stayed that way)

Do things work OK with that change?

                                        Owen

[ Nothing I can find actually says what happens for LC_ALL
  when only some of the Locale categories are present.
  FreeBSD's behavior seems somewhat deficient to me
  but perhaps it is correct ]