Re: Resolving cross-references among components

On 11/18/2012 10:59 PM, David Nečas wrote:
On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 09:44:27PM +0100, Stefan Sauer wrote:
I can't add anything here. Do you have a case where this happens?
It should happen everywhere.  For instance, Gdk references Gtk+ symbols
dozens of times.  Why almost no one observes it?  Most of the time if
you build Gtk+, even from a fresh checkout, you already have *some* Gtk+
installed.  So gtkdoc-fixxref takes index.sgml from the system directory.
Occasionally, you miss a couple of new symbols, but who notices it...

I run into this during nightly builds of Gwyddion (too complex to serve
as a clear example) that are done in a relatively clean environment.
Certainly it is not installed anywhere where it could be picked up
during the build.

It would suffice to split the fixxref stage off the normal HTML building
stange and run it once that is done in all subdirectories.  But this
is not possible within gtk-doc.make, it requires the introduction of
some HTML-has-been-built stamp on the package level (or at least inside
some docs subdirectory).

Yeti

If we want to fix this we probably need to make it so that docA/html
depends on doc{A,B}/index.sgml and docB/html likewise. That is we need
to first run gtkdoc-mkdb in all doc modules and then continue with
gtkdoc-mkhtml and gtkdoc-fixxref.

That said, I don't feel like hacking that into our current makefiles :/

Stefan