1.17 cross refs

It's been some time since I rebuilt my docs with gtk-doc and I wanted to comment
about this weird behavior I am seeing with 1.17 and cross refs.  To summarize;

My project, like many gtk-doc projects, has libraries in the tree which contain
references to each other.  An ordinary layout, much like this:

project
-+liba
-+libb
-+docs
--+reference
---+liba
---+libb

Now, liba contains no doc references into libb, but libb contains some references
to liba.  When I build the project, as follows:

./autogen.sh
./configure --enable-gtk-doc [...]
make

the cross references from libb into liba are _not_ created in the source tree.
I get warnings of the form: "warning; no link to:".  After I install the project:

make install

the installed docs also have no links from libb into liba, but here is where it
gets interesting:

_AFTER_ the make install is performed, if I return to the source tree, cd into
the ..docs/reference/libb directory and

make clean
make

the cross references are successfully made in the source tree!  Issuing a new
make install, the valid libb docs are delivered to the installation area. If I
subsequently delete the installation tree, and cd back to the source tree
../docs/reference/libb and

make clean
make

the cross references are broken again.

So, in my situation, it seems that the cross references are being repaired in
the source tree only after gtk-doc has an installation tree to inspect.

Is there something I need to adjust in my project to alleviate this rather
weird behavior?

Phil