Re: Makefile constructs

Il giorno Sun, 03 Jan 2010 21:49:05 +0200
Stefan Kost <ensonic hora-obscura de> ha scritto:

> The second bugreport has a suggestion, but that changes the pattern
> used in the gtk-doc.make makefile snippets. It is using:
>
> #### step1 ####
>
> step1-build.stamp: dependency1 dependency2 ...
> 	@echo 'gtk-doc: Building step1'
> 	<rules>
> 	@touch step1-build.stamp
>
> step1.stamp: step1-build.stamp
> 	@true
>
> #### step2 ####
>
> step2-build.stamp: step1.stamp dependency1 dependency2 ...
> 	@echo 'gtk-doc: Building step2'
>
> Can anyone tell we why this is always using *two* stamps and not just
>
> #### step1 ####
>
> step1.stamp: dependency1 dependency2 ...
> 	@echo 'gtk-doc: Building step1'
> 	<rules>
> 	@touch step1.stamp

Taking the sgml target as example, `sgml-build.stamp' is a classic
stamp file while `sgml.stamp' is created by gtkdoc-mkdb. This is
confirmed by a test: after touching the -section.txt file the docs
are not rebuilt, only the coverage report is shown.

My guess is gtkdoc-mkdb checks if a template has been modified, so you
don't need to track every .tmpl file in your makefiles. Removing the
template baggage should make this double stamp obsolete.

--
Nicola