Re: How to use gtk-doc for library.gnome.org (libgo)

Goran Rakic wrote:
> My main problem is that docs need to be built on web server and I am
> unable to use standard make magic to built API references (as deps does
> not exist on server). I tried to setup sandbox environment where I can get
> source and  tmpl directory, main SGML file, referenced XML files... and
> run gtkdoc-scan, gtkdoc-mkdb and gtkdoc-mkhtml
> but I ran into problems [2].

Generally, this can never work, you just cannot perform
GObject inspection if you haven't built the libraries (with
a little tweaking you can inspect binaries built elsewhere
but you still need them).

One you have the DocBook XML, it's selfcontained and you can
build any final output you wish (I do this regularly).

So how to get the XML?  If you have to build on a web server
without dependencies, you depend on someone else building
the XML and putting it somewhere (explicitly).  Why must the
somewhere be the svn repo?

As Stefan wrote, putting generated files there is a recipe
for neverending conflicts if more than one working copy
exists.  So IMO the question should be how to publish the
XML -- that someone still has to generate somewhere else --
when this someone generates it so that the HTML generator
can fetch it.

Yeti

--
http://gwyddion.net/