Re: Interface Stability (was Re: xxx-undocumented.txt)

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 19:10 +0000, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 18:55, Brian Cameron wrote:
> > Damon:
> >
> > Thanks for your pointers on how to modify gtk-doc.  After the business of the
> > holidays, getting sick, and a fire-drill to fix some bugs on schedule here at
> > Sun, I now have some free time to work on this.  I've grabbed gtk-doc from
> > CVS head and am starting to look at the code to make the changes.
> >
> > One thing that isn't clear to me is how to test the code.  I guess I was
> > hoping the module would have some sample/test files in it that you could
> > use to test features.  That doesn't seem the case.  What's the best way
> > to setup an environment where you can test a new feature?  Should I just
> > build a module that uses gtk-docs, such as GTK+, add the "Stability"
> > keyword to a few functions/etc. there and then try running it against
> > a modified gtk-doc?  That seems a bit cumbersome, so I guess I'm wondering
> > if there is an easier way, or if somebody has an easier to use test
> > environment set up that they could share.
>
> I usually use GTK+. You don't need to build it all. I just run
> autogen.sh to configure it (with the --enable-gtk-doc option), then cd
> into docs/reference/gtk (or gdk-pixbuf) and do a make there.
>
> You could use GLib if you don't have all the GTK+ dependencies.

I normally use gdk or gdk-pixbuf for testing purposes, since they build
much faster (glib doesn't test any of the reflection machinery of gtk-
doc).

So configure --enable-gtk-doc, build it (you can kill the build once it
reaches the docs, or wait for a couple of hours), then you can go to
docs/reference/gdk-pixbuf and use make clean, make to test your
features.

Matthias