Re: The fast version of gtk-doc.xsl

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 10:03, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 21:27, Callum McKenzie wrote:
>
> > In hindsight I should have tried using the yelp stylesheets, they're
> > fast and pretty (mine are just fast).
>
> Now that you've learnt all about DocBook and XSLT why not help Shaun
> finish off the yelp stylesheets. Then maybe we could use those :)

I think this is a wonderful idea.  I like contributors. :)

Seriously, I'm not comfortable making API stability guarantees on the
Yelp stylesheets in the GNOME 2.6 timeframe.  They're not registered in
the system's XML catalogs for precisely this reason.

Jeff Waugh and I have discussed putting the stylesheets into a gnome-xsl
package that could, hopefully, be part of the GNOME Developer Platform,
which means they'd guarantee a stable API.  Nonetheless, anything with
the word gnome in it probably isn't an acceptable dependency.

> Out of interest, has anyone tested the performance of libxslt against
> other XSL processors?

Yes, it's fast.  There's a graph at the bottom of

http://www.xmlsoft.org/

(and a link to the source benchmark) that shows the performance of
libxml2 and libxslt.  Lowers numbers are better.

Of course, different XSLT processors will do things differently, and
there may be some things that are faster in one processor than another.
It is possible to tune your stylesheets to a particular processor for
performance.  There is relatively little of this in Yelp's stylesheets,
but there is some.

--
Shaun