Re: Ideas about improving gtk-doc

Hi Brian,

> That sounds great.  I would be delighted to work with a student to
> implement
> features to improve gtk-doc.  In my last email I think I pretty clearly
> specified the high-level features that would be useful to add.  Could you
> be more specific about what additional information you need in a TODO file?

I don't yet have one here. But before thying to motivate (convince) one to do
it, one needs enough ideas, so that it is enough for a diploma work.
With a TODO file I mean having a list of wanted features along with some note on
how it should be implemented (kind of use cases), e.g. how would one like to
document an information and how should it appear in the output.
If the maintainer(s) agree on the entries in such a file, one can spend time on
implementing it without fearing that the change is not wanted.

>> One thing that I would like to see is to use a little DHTML. (I am not
>> sure
>> wether devhelp uses gecko or gtk-html - this would probably require
>> gecko)
>> In older projects I used doxygen and the html output from it is
>> unfortunately
>> heavily overloaded. By using DHTML gtk-doc could add things like
>> "references"
>> and "referenced-by" section to symbols, which are hidden by default
>> and could be
>> expanded (or viewed as a tooltip).
>>
>> The other thing is that I really like dot graphs (for class hierarchy,
>> but
>> collaboration graphs as well). But here again seems to be no
>> conclusion is the
>> community as the patch was never accepted (couldn't we make that an
>> configure
>> option).
>
> Yes, this sounds like a nice feature.  If you need help making it a
> configure
> option, that is something I could help with.  I am knowledgable about
> how to
> modify configure.in files if you need help or guidance.
Thanks for your offer, but thats not the problem (I am working on several OS
pacages as well).

>> The student could also do gtk-doc homepage and documentation, if there
>> is some
>> agreenment that this would be fine.
>

> It sounds like Damon agrees that the features I suggested are generally
> useful, and he is the module maintainer, so I'd think this is work we can
> get started on.  Assuming that Damon would be willing to review the patches
> and allow us to put them back into CVS.

So lets wait for more comments from Damon ;-) And I start looking out for a
suitable student ;-)

Ciao
  Stefan
--
      \|/            Stefan Kost
     <@ @>           private            business
|       __  Address  Simildenstr. 5     HTWK Leipzig, Fb IMN, Postfach 301166
|      ///           04277 Leipzig      04251 Leipzig
| __  ///            Germany            Germany
| \\\///    Phone    +49341 2253538     +49341 30766101
|  \__/     EMail    st_kost_at_gmx.net kost_at_imn.htwk-leipzig.de
|           WWW      www.sonicpulse.de  www.imn.htwk-leipzig.de/~kost/about.html
===-=-=--=---=---------------------------------- - - -  -    -
begin:vcard
fn:Stefan Kost
n:Kost;Stefan
org:HTWK Leipzig;FB. IMN
adr:;;Postfach 301166;Leipzig;;04251;Germany
email;internet:kost imn htwk-leipzig de
title:Dipl. Informatiker
tel;work:+49341 30766440
tel;home:+49341 2253538