Re: Ideas about improving gtk-doc

Stefan:

I am generally very pro for enhancing gtk-doc. I am working at a univerity and
could try to get a student to do the improvements as diploma work (we are a
technical university).
It would just need a TODO file with enough agreed changes. Not that the one
start doing it all and then patches would not be accepted.

That sounds great.  I would be delighted to work with a student to implement
features to improve gtk-doc.  In my last email I think I pretty clearly
specified the high-level features that would be useful to add.  Could you
be more specific about what additional information you need in a TODO file?

One thing that I would like to see is to use a little DHTML. (I am not sure
wether devhelp uses gecko or gtk-html - this would probably require gecko)
In older projects I used doxygen and the html output from it is unfortunately
heavily overloaded. By using DHTML gtk-doc could add things like "references"
and "referenced-by" section to symbols, which are hidden by default and could be
expanded (or viewed as a tooltip).

The other thing is that I really like dot graphs (for class hierarchy, but
collaboration graphs as well). But here again seems to be no conclusion is the
community as the patch was never accepted (couldn't we make that an configure
option).

Yes, this sounds like a nice feature.  If you need help making it a configure
option, that is something I could help with.  I am knowledgable about how to
modify configure.in files if you need help or guidance.

The student could also do gtk-doc homepage and documentation, if there is some
agreenment that this would be fine.

It sounds like Damon agrees that the features I suggested are generally
useful, and he is the module maintainer, so I'd think this is work we can
get started on.  Assuming that Damon would be willing to review the patches
and allow us to put them back into CVS.

--

Brian