Re: new guy here

Damon Chaplin <damon ximian com> writes:

> On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 03:03, Charles Lambert wrote:
> > i just signed up!
> > i wanted to know what's the best way to get up to
> > speed on things so i can start helping out. For the
> > next 2 weeks i can devote all my time to this. after
> > that i have to start working again, but of course i
> > will still help.
>
> What did you want to help out with? Writing docs for GTK+?
> This list is really for discussion about the gtk-doc tool,
> but I doubt you wanted to help with that ;)

Actually, the description of this list (and why I originally
created it, as I recall) is:

 This list is for the coordination of GTK+ documentation efforts.

It's sort of drifted over time into being more about gtk-doc,
though.

> Matthias Clasen <maclas gmx de> may be able to point you
> at parts of GTK+ that need help. I think parts of glib like
> GObject need a lot of work.

GObject is certainly one area where we need docs, but it
really requires a lot of expertise in the area, and skill at
reading some pretty hairy code.

I think in general, where we need the most help is in filling
in overview docs for all the widgets in GTK+. Ever section
of the GTK+ manual should start off with a description of:

 What the API in the section is used for.

 How do you go about using it (what are the important functions,
 are there any common traps people fall into, etc.)

 A short example, if appropriate.

So, find some part of the GTK+ reference manual that is about
something you know something about or that you want to learn
something about, and is missing the overview docs, pull up:

 docs/reference/gtk/tmpl/[thesection].sgml

In your editor and start filling in the missing content :-)

Regards,
                                        Owen