Re: Another release for GNOME 2?

> Do we want another release for GNOME 2? Or stick with the current one?
>
> I'm not sure what state cvs is in at the moment, so I don't know if a
> new release is wise yet.

CVS gtk-doc supports --output-format=xml, but still uses jade to generate
html.
glib, pango, gdk, gdk-pixbuf and gtk CVS head depend on this, the stable
branches
still use --output-format=sgml, so work fine with gtk-doc 0.9.

James outstanding patch to switch --output-format=xml to use xsl and
xsltproc
still has some issues before it can go in (to be honest, it may well be
docbook
xsl stylesheets which are to blame), and it will need a synchronized update
the glib, pango, gdk, gdk-pixbuf and gtk CVS head docs, since it no longer
supports entities, but only xinclude.

So doing a release before applying James patch would mean that we have a
0.10
which supports --output-mode=xml only with entities and then a 0.11 which
supports
--output-mode=xml only with xinclude. I think this would be suboptimal,
since it
means that apps switching to xml as supported in 0.10 will have to change
their
driver files again when 0.11 comes out. So I'd say we should either

a) Wait until we can release a 0.10 which supports --output-mode=xml only
with
    xinclude

or

b) Release 0.10 now and make sure that 0.11 will support --output-mode=xml
both
   with entities and with xinclude

James, do you think it would be possible to make gtkdoc-mkdb smart enough to
detect
whether an existing driver file uses entities or xinclude and behave
appropriately (ie
refrain from adding doctype declarations on the generated files if they are
used as entities) ?

Matthias

http://www.gmx.net