Re: problem with gtk-docs being corrupt

I found gtk-doc 0.10 which I found here:

 http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/gtk-doc/

Yes, this does fix our corrupted character problem, and the text
generally looks much nicer.  The look & feel of the new pages seem
to be better, with one nasty exception.

It seems that the Synopsis sections are much harder to read.  Using
gtk-doc version 0.6 the synopsis section showed one functions nicely
separated with each function on its own line, like this:

---
 void        gtk_preview_uninit              (void);
 GtkWidget*  gtk_preview_new                 (GtkPreviewType type);
 void        gtk_preview_size                (GtkPreview *preview,
                                              gint width,
                                              gint height);
---

With 0.10 they are all jumbled together on the same line, much like as seen
on gtk.org, like on this page:

 http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-Drag-and-Drop.html

I think the old style for Synopsis was nicer/cleaner.  Why the change?
Is it possible to get the old style for Synopsis and use 0.10?  Or is
it easy to hack gtk-doc 0.6 to just not have the nasty characters?

Thanks!

Brian

> On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 05:04:33PM +0000, Brian Cameron wrote:
> > I am not on the gtk-doc-list, so please cc: me with any response.
> >
> > Funny characters are appearing in the docs that I am generating
> > via gtk-docs.  Generally the pages don't look so nice.  I'm including
> > an attachment as an example.
> >
> > An ASCII example which shows the non-Latin characters showing up
> > in the page is below...
> >
> > Any tips regarding how to make the pages look nicer would be
> > appreciated.
>
> OK, we've seen this before in a couple of different scenarios. My guess
> would be that you are using a slightly older version of gtk-doc and the
> pages are not being correctly interpreted as UTF-8 encoding.
>
> A potted history: The most recent gtk-doc code encodes the pages in
> ISO-8859-1 (changed on November 16). Prior to that, it was outputting
> UTF-8 and, for a short period, not correctly setting the charset value
> in appropriate meta tag it produced. However, even after setting the
> charset correctly, we were seeing problems because Apache, by default,
> was serving the pages as ISO-8859-1. There are changes that can be made
> to Apache's config file to make it server those pages as UTF-8, but in
> the interests of making life easier for everybody, James changed the
> pages back to ISO-8859-1.
>
> So the solution is to upgrade gtk-doc to something recent (e.g. the 0.10
> release or the CVS version) and go from there. If you are _already_
> using the latest and greatest version, can you let us know how you are
> viewing your pages (via a web server? Just directly from files?) and
> what encoding your browser thinks they are, etc.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers,
> Malcolm
>
> --
> The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

Brian